How does Motability work?

If you receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the War Pensioners' Motability Supplement, getting a new car is easier and more affordable than ever. Even if you don't drive, you can still lease a vehicle through the scheme and nominate someone to drive it for you. You simply turn all or part of your allowance into the car of your choice.

The most popular option is Contract Hire, this gives you:

  • A new car of your choice every 3 years
  • Insurance and personal accident cover for named drivers and passengers
  • Servicing & maintenance from Desira
  • Full breakdown assistance from the RAC
  • Annual tax disc sent directly to your home (Except in Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man)
  • 60,000 miles mileage allowance over 3 years
  • Free replacement tyres fitted by Kwik Fit
  • Window or windscreen replacement at no extra cost

If this doesn't sound quite for you, you might prefer the Conditional Sale option if you:

  • Require expensive vehicles or adaptations
  • Plan to cover high mileage in your car
  • Want to own a car and use the Motability allowance to pay for it

It is also possible to have a used car on Conditional Sale. For vehicles to qualify for this they must be less than 3 years old at the point of handover and have done less than 45,000 miles. Finance on Used CS agreements will be available for 3, 4 and 5 years and the maximum age of a used vehicle at the end of the CS agreement is now 7 years.

Motability is the Hassle-Free Option!

The Motability Car Scheme enables people to obtain a brand new car using their government-funded mobility allowances. At Desira, our Motability specialists are dedicated to making it as easy as possible to choose the right car for you.

The Government has now introduced the new allowance called the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which will gradually replace the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged between 16 and 64. The Motability Scheme will work with PIP in the same way as is it does with DLA.

Please contact us if you have any further queries.